It’s that time of the year again. Barbecuing season is here. My barbecue is still not at my house but that doesn’t mean I can’t make something that would taste great barbecued or not. This time I am talking about burgers, not just any type of burgers. Vegan, gluten free full of protein and jam packed with flavour burgers. Served with a sweet and sour salad.
This recipe is super easy, and so delicious. You can easily serve them as burgers, as meatballs, or as a meatloaf. It is a versatile recipe. Chickpeas and quinoa make the base of the burgers, then spices, herbs are added to customize and enhance these bad boys. To serve, I decided not to use buns but to pile one on top of the other, held in place with a minty lemon cashew dressing and caramelized onions.
As a side I served it with a sweet and sour beet salad. I used roasted beets, and beet greens. It was a perfect compliment to the patties. Refreshing and light, it could easily be built upon to create a meal if you are looking for a filling salad.
Vegan Chickpea and Quinoa Burgers
Makes: 9 Cook time: 15 minutes Total time: 30 minutes
1 can unsalted chickpeas
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1 Tbsp tahini
1 Tsp turmeric
1 Tsp mint, chopped finely
1 Tsp lemon juice
Dash of salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spray or coat oil on a baking sheet.
3.Drain chickpeas and add to a bowl. Mash all chickpeas, how lumpy you want it to be depends on preference. You could also use a food processor.
4. Add in tahini, turmeric, mint, lemon juice, salt and peper. Mix to combine.
5. Add in quinoa. Mash all tightener, I found using my hands worked best.
6. Once thoroughly combined shape into patties. Mine were about the side of a golf ball. Place on baking sheet. Place in refrigerator to firm up, about 10 minutes.
7. Once ready bake for 10 minutes in oven, then remove and flip over and bake a further 5 minutes. Serve immediately or cool down on rack and stop in refrigerator for a week in sealed container, these can also be freezes for 2 months.
Mint and Lemon Cashew Dressing
Makes 1/2 Cup Total time: 5 minutes
Handful of mint, roughly chopped
1/2 Cup raw cashews
1 Fresh lemon, squeezed
Salt and pepper
1 Tbsp water
1. Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth. It should be thick, but cashews should be nearly all broken up.
2. Scrape into a container and use, or store in refrigerator for a week.