For many years Fridays nights have been “ready made dinner nights” with family. Usually that would mean a bbq chicken, deli salads, chips or bread and dips that were bought at the store. It was a nice tradition but as the years went by, family moved away and my own dietary intolerances changed the tradition does not happen so much.
Part of me misses those nights, so whenever I do happen to have one I suppose you could say I relish them. One particular dish that I miss mostly is 7-layer dip. My family would buy it ready made and eat it with delicious artisan bread, particularly garlic infused bread (yummm bread). Another strange but delicious way I like to enjoy – layer dip is with freshly made potato wedges. It sounds so wrong but I can’t help but love it.
Every once in awhile I think to myself that I should make some at home but part of me was skeptical about making a dairy free version. However I came across a recipe for cashew sour cream so decided to try it out and make the dip at home. I also like that this recipe is really easy, and if you prefer you can buy many of the ingredients ready made from the store, as I did with the refried beans and salsa. If you do choose to buy the refried beans from the store and want to have a strictly vegan dip make sure the brand ensures that the beans are vegan.
Its the perfect thing to whip up on a family night, when you have a party or just want something different to eat for lunch.I added some onto tostadas and served it with blackened salmon to make a great dinner the other night, but also made sure to make plenty to enjoy over the next few days.
- 1 Cup cashews, soaked overnight or 30 minutes in boiled water
- 1 Tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tsp lemon juice
- Dash of salt
- 2 Ripe avocados, mashed
- 1 Firm tomato, diced
- 1 Jalapeno, diced and seeds removed (optional)
- ⅓ Cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ Cup onion, diced
- 1 Clove garlic, diced
- ½ Tbsp lime juice
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Drain cashews and blend all ingredients together in food processor until smooth.
- You may need some water to create a thinner consistency.
- Add all ingredients except for avocados to a food processor. Mix up to your preferred consistency, I prefer chunky guacamole.
- Scrape out into a bowl and fold in the mashed avocados. Taste and add more flavouring if you prefer.
- Other ingredients for dip
- Refried beans mixed with 2-3 tbsp water
- Vegan Cheese ( I use Daiya Cheddar Shreds)
- Tomatoes, chopped
- Green Onion, chopped
- Sliced Olives (optional)
- Assemble your Dip
- Layer each ingredient on top of each other in the following order:
- Refried Beans
- Cashew Sour Cream
- Vegan Cheese
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Chopped Green Onion
- Refried Beans
4. Cashew Sour Cream
5. Vegan Cheese
6. Chopped Tomatoes
7. Chopped Green Onions
Serve with your favourite dipable snacks like chips, veggies, and breads.