One of my favourite junk foods to eat are tater tots. I use to buy them when they were on sale and store them in the freezer for whenever I want something junky but also filling. However, store bought tater tots are full of oil and salt so really are not healthy for you.
To help with my tater tot cravings I thought I would just make my own. While using regular potatoes is completely fine I decided to make sweet potato tots because sweet potatoes are full of vitamins and flavour.
Not only are these sweet potato tater tots perfect on their own they can make a great base for many other recipes , you could use them for a quiche crust, in casseroles, use in place of potato chips in my breakfast chips recipe, or as the holiday season is creeping up on us as stuffing for turkey though I wouldn’t actually stuff the turkey with them but make a side dish type stuffing.
I divided the tater tots that I made into seven portions, each portion had 6 tots, some of those were larger than others but you should be able to get between 40-50 tots from this recipe. Although I have said that these are great on their own I put together a simple dipping sauce of honey and chilli oil, I loved how these flavours work together.
You can always play around with the flavours by adding in different spices or herbs in place or in addition to the salt and pepper. You could also make these sweeter by adding some brown sugar and cinnamon, perfect for autumn and reminds me of pumpkin pie.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 Egg
- 2 tbsp oat flour
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and Pepper
- preheat oven to 350 degrees and one two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- peel sweet potatoes and cut into eighths. Shred in a food processor or with a hand held grater.
- Spread a layer onto the baking sheets and bake for 20-25 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Remove rom oven and let cool until you can handle easily in your hands. Turn ovens heat up to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl add sweet potatoes, egg, oat flour and salt and pepper.
- Mix to combine, making sure all oat flour is incorporated.
- Put down news sheets of parchment paper on the baking sheets and lightly spray/ spread with vegetable oil.
- With hands take ½ tbsp worth of sweet potato mixtures and squeeze together and press into short log shapes.
- Place on baking sheet and continue until all mixture is used up.
- Bake for 10 minutes, turn and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately or wait until they cool completely and store in refrigerator for a week or in the freezer for 3 months.