It is finally starting to feel like Spring which means fresh fruit and vegetable from the farmers market and grilling anything and everything. Recently I was grocery shopping and noticed that strawberries were on sale so picked up two containers not knowing that I would actually be adding a third to my cart. So what on earth was I going to do with three containers of strawberries?
First thing that comes to mind is just eat them as is, which trust me I did. I think I ate a whole container just on my own. However, as I had three containers I knew I should come up with something else to use strawberries in and remembered that I had some ready-made gluten free puff pastry in the freezer that I had been dying to try out.
That is where strawberry hand pies come into play. I decided to make some really simple and easy hand pies that were low on sugar but high on flavour. All you need is 5 ingredients. These are quick to make and perfect to snack on. If you wish to make your own puff pastry or pie pastry that would work too. I have a recipe for pastry here.
Although the pastry did not puff up as I would expect from puff pastry it was still good and I would definitely use it again when I don’t feel like making my own dough.
- 4 Cups strawberries, chopped
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tsp vanilla
- ½ Lemon
- 1 Sheet gluten free pastry
- Add all ingredients but dough to a pot and bring to a low simmer, stir occasionally until strawberries have completely soften and most liquid is gone. Remove from heat and let cool.
- While that is cooling roll out dough and cut out palm sized circles. Lay rounds on a baking sheet and set aside in refrigerator to chill.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Once strawberries mix is cool to the touch and oven had warmed up take out prepared pie crusts.
- Add a heaps tbsp of the strawberries into the middle of one round and place another round onto.
- With a fork press down all around to seal the filling. Continue until all dough is used.
- With fork prongs prick top of pies to let steam release while cooking.
- Return to refrigerator for 10 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until pie crust is golden brown.
- Remove and cool before serving. Keep in an airtight container for one week.