Don’t give me roses or a box of chocolate. Food, especially good home cooked food is the way to my heart. With Valentine’s Day right around the corner I thought I would make something for the loved ones in my house and pancakes are a sure way to make anyone happy.
As such I though a really easy, practically one dish pancake recipe would be perfect. You could whip up this recipe the day before and cook in the morning to save time or prepare the same day you will be eating them. They are completely vegan and gluten free and loaded with fruits and vegetable.
As I wanted to make these red velvet pancakes I decided to dye them with beet instead of food dye. This not only naturally give the pancakes some colour but as added bonus gives you a serving of magnesium, calcium and folate.
The oats are also full of fibre and B vitamins and helps to lower ones cholesterol. Bananas are also packed full of the good stuff like vitamin C, serotonin and dopamine. Basically you are eating a healthy, delicious dose of goodness.
Of course pancakes are not complete without something to top them with and as many people will tell you, cream cheese seems to pair perfectly with red velvet anything. To make my cream cheese sauce I used a container of Toffuti cream cheese. It is my favourite dairy free alternative to the real stuff and I love how versatile it is.
Sure the cream cheese sauce kind of makes the pancakes deathly bad for you, but sometimes you have to have a little bad with the good. To finish I topped them with some fresh fruit, which is always something I love to have with pancakes.
Settle down with someone you love and enjoy some delicious pancakes with them. If pancakes are not you thing or you are looking for something to bring to the office check out my recipe for Persian Love Cupcakes.
- For Pancakes:
- 1½ Cup gluten free oats or oat flour
- 2 Bananas
- 1 Small beet
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Cup dairy free milk
- ¼ Cup cacao powder
- ½ Tsp vanilla
- Addition vegetable oil for cooking
- For Cream Cheese Sauce:
- 1 Container of Toffuti plain cream cheese
- ½ Cup powdered sugar
- ¼ Cup dairy free milk
- 1 Tsp vanilla
- To Make Pancakes:
- Boil beet in pot of water until soft and a fork can easily puncture whole thing.
- Remove from water and cool.
- In a blender combine all other pancake ingredients.
- Heat up pan on medium heat and lightly brush with some oil.
- Remove skin from beet and add to blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- When pan is hot pour in roughly 2-3 tbsps worth of batter, you can choose to make large one too.
- Cook for 1 minute until bubbles start to form and edges look mostly cooked. Flip and cook for a further 30-45 seconds.
- Remove from pan and continue to make pancakes until all batter is used.
- To Make Cream Cheese Sauce:
- Blend cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla with 2 tbsp of milk.
- Continue to add milk until you have your preferred consistency. You can go as thick or as thin as you like.
- Chill in refrigertaor until ready to use.
- To serve pancakes stack one on to of each other with some of the cream cheese sauce in between each pancake. Top with fresh fruit and serve. Can be eaten war or cold.
- Pancakes will keep one week in refrigerator in an air tight container. Sauce will keep for 2 weeks.