Take out. Specifically Chinese take out. Something we all indulge in from time to time including myself, but I also remember real Chinese food, the food that I ate almost every day for 6 years while I lived in China, and so also know that what is often served as Chinese food is not the real deal.
So here I was wanting both styles and decided I will mix the two together and come up with my own version of fried rice.
There are many ways to make fried rice, some prefer sliced chilli peppers or mushrooms. Maybe some tofu or prawns. There are so many ways to combine ingredients and serve them together but the one thing that is always the same is the rice.
The rice is important, otherwise you wouldn’t call it fried rice but it can’t just be rice it has to be day old rice (could be up to three days) and cold. This is what makes fried rice a killer dish.
Next time you cook rice for dinner add a bit more than you normally do and set it aside to use the next day for a quick and yummy meal.
For this version of fried rice I also added some pepper steak on top, but feel free to use any of the above mentioned ingredients, or come up with something that will get your taste bugs a tingling.
Serves: 2 Servings
- 2 cups cooked rice, preferably day or two old rice
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 small size ginger ( about the size of thumb nail)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ chilli chopped
- ½ cup carrots cut into slivers
- ½ cup soy beans
- ½ onion diced
- ½ cup mushrooms sliced thinly
- 2 steak (or any other protein you choose) sliced thinly
- salt and pepper
- Take soy sauce, garlic, ginger and coconut milk and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat up oil in a wok on high medium and add steak, cook until medium rare (or how you prefer). Using tongs or a fork take steak out and put to the side.
- In same oil start frying up the onions, carrots and chilli. Sauté for about 5 minutes, then add mushrooms and soy beans. Sauté for another five minutes
- and add rice and mix with vegetables. Then add sauce and mix up again.
- Let sit until for some time to let rice begin to form a crust, keep tossing to ensure it does not stick, about 5-10 mins. Serve immediately, either with steak on top or mix in with rice at the last moment.