Thanksgiving is coming up (this Monday for Canadians) and for anyone looking for an easy no bake, gluten free and vegan pumpkin pie recipe here is a throwback to one I made. I will be making it for my family and serving it up with some vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce (optional but definitely worth it).
- 1¼ Cup chopped walnuts
- ⅓ Cup coconut flour or shredded coconut
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tbsp agave syrup
- 1 Tsp salt
- 14-16 pitted dates, soak for ten minutes if they appear hard
- 1 Can pumpkin puree or enough to make 1½ cups
- 1 Tsp pumpkin spice (mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, allspice)
- ⅓ Cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tbsp almond milk or other non dairy alternative
- Combine all crust ingredients in a food processor and pulse until crumbled, do not over blend. Pinch some dough between fingers to check if ready, if it keeps shape it is done.
- Spread evenly on bottom of 9" pie plate, I recommend lining with cling wrap or use a springform pan. Once bottom is done, add more to edges and press gently.
- Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Combine all filling ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
- Remove pie pan from refrigerator and carefully scoop/pour filling into the crust. Smooth top with spatula. Return to refrigerator and chill for 6 hours or overnight.
- Once ready to serve ,remove the pan and carefully lift pie from the pan onto serving platter. This is not necessary, it can be served in pan if you want to. I recommend a drizzle of caramel and whipped coconut cream to top it off.
Southern-in-law has a great vegan caramel recipe (if the honey is swapped for agave syrup).
Coconut cream recipe (bottom of page)