These are not your coffeeshop pumpkin muffins but these pumpkin and oat muffins are just as good!
I normally eat hard boiled eggs for breakfast but was kind of getting tired of that and wanted something different for breakfast. I thought maybe oatmeal would be a nice change and while I was grabbing oats from the cupboard I found a can of pureed pumpkin in the back corner and an idea struck me, why not combine oats and pumpkin into breakfast muffins.
These pumpkin and oat muffins certainly are filling, I have been eating two a day for breakfast for the last few days and don’t find myself hungry until mid-afternoon. I love to warm these up in the microwave and add some vegan butter on top. All I need to complete my breakfast is a large american with a shot of salted caramel syrup.
I made these pumpkin and oat muffins with ground flaxseed instead of eggs and though I decided to use honey you can swap it put for agave syrup or add another 2 tablespoons of brown sugar to make these completely vegan. You can also swap out the vegetable oil for 1/2 cup mashed banana if you want to make these super healthy or if you are trying to avoid oil.
Don’t worry if these look like they are under-cooked they are suppose to be soft and moist on the inside. These really are like having a serving of oatmeal but without having to use a bowl or spoon. They are perfect to take on the go to eat on your morning commute or as a snack later on in the day.
While I enjoy this recipe I have to admit that I am kind of missing my regular breakfast and will probably go back to eggs once I have eaten all these pumpkin and oat muffins but I also plan on coming back to these again when I want something different or when I want a healthy snack.
For another great muffin recipe try my Lemon Coconut Muffins.
- 2 Cups pureed pumpin
- 1½ Cups Oat flour
- 1 Cup oats
- ½ Tsp baking powder
- ¼ Tsp baking soda
- ¼ Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tsp ground ginger
- ½ Tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ Cup brown sugar, unpacked
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 5 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tray with paper muffin cups and lightly spray with oil.
- Combine flaxseed and water together in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- In medium sized bowl combine oats, oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices.
- In large bowl combine puree pumpkin, brown sugar, honey and oil. Add in chopped pecans (optional).
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix to combine.
- Drop in spoonfuls of batter into each muffin cup, you can fill to the top as they do not rise that much.
- Drop some pumpkin seeds onto each muffin.
- Bake for 20 minutes before cooling completely.
- Keep in a container in refrigerator for a week or freeze for 2 months.