As you may know I love to make recipes from around the world. It’s a great feeling being able to recreate these recipes with gluten free and dairy free products, and when possible completely vegan too. I also like to make classic favourites that everyone can recognize and enjoy.
Todays recipe is popular throughout eastern Europe and has many, many variations. Essentially zrazy is a type of croquette. Traditionally zrazy are stuffed with meat such as beef or pork but mushrooms have become a more common practice in recent times.
Although the recipe itself is simple, shaping these potato cakes is not. You need to make sure that the mashed potato mixture has cooled down enough so it is not too sticky, but not so cool that it begins to clump and become hard.
Once you reach the correct temperature and consistency you need to work relatively fast. While you could just make the cakes into rounds they are traditionally shaped into oval or diamond shapes.
Once shaped they need to be fried to golden brown and served immediately. These do not taste the same cold or refried so I recommend eating them the same day you make them.
While sour cream is often served as a condiment I was not up to making some vegan sour cream and instead served my zrazy with unsweetened apple sauce which surprisingly worked rather well.
This is a perfect dish now as the weather turns colder and we start to crave comforting and filling food.
- 6 Medium sized potatoes
- 1 Egg
- ¼ Cup gluten free flour
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil, divided
- 1 Onion
- 10-12 Mushrooms
- 1 Bunch fresh flat leaf parsley
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut potatoes into cubes. Boil in salted water until soft, around 20-30 minutes.
- Mince onions and mushrooms. Add to a pan with 1 tbsp olive oil and saute on medium low heat with lid on. Check on stuffing every few minutes.
- Chop parsley up and leave to side.
- Once potatoes are cooked, drain and run under cold water to cool them. Drain and leave to side to cool for 10 minutes.
- Once potatoes are cool, mash with potato masher. Add 1 tbsp olive oil, egg and flour and stir to combine.
- Once stuffing appears to be cooked through add parsley and salt and pepper. Cook for a further minute to gently cook parsley. Remove from heat.
- On a well-floured surface scoop about two tbsp potato mixture and flatten out. Place 1 tbsp of stuffing in middle then gently roll sides of potato up and around the stuffing.
- Shape into ovals and dust tops and bottoms with flour. Continue until all potato mixture has been used.
- In a shallow pan heat up about 2 inches of vegetable oil. Fry each crazy for 1-2 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel and repeat for rest of zrazy.
- Serve hot with sour cream or apple sauce.