March 14 is PI Day. This year it is ultimate PI day because more digits of PI are represented in sequential time: 3.141592653 or 3/14/15 at 9:26:53 am/pm. This is a representation of the first 10 digits of PI. So in honour of the day I present a quick and yummy no bake pie recipe that is gluten free, vegan and refined sugar free!
PS- It also happens to be Albert Einstein’s birthday! He would be 136 years old!
- 1¼ Cup chopped walnuts
- ⅓ Cup coconut flour or shredded coconut
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tbsp agave syrup
- 1 Tsp salt
- 14-16 pitted dates, soak for ten minutes if they appear hard
- 1 Can pumpkin puree or enough to make 1½ cups
- 1 Tsp pumpkin spice (mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, allspice)
- ⅓ Cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tbsp almond milk or other non dairy alternative
- Combine all crust ingredients in a food processor and pulse until crumbled, do not over blend. Pinch some dough between fingers to check if ready, if it keeps shape it is done.
- Spread evenly on bottom of 9" pie plate, I recommend lining with cling wrap or use a springform pan. Once bottom is done, add more to edges and press gently.
- Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Combine all filling ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
- Remove pie pan from refrigerator and carefully scoop/pour filling into the crust. Smooth top with spatula. Return to refrigerator and chill for 6 hours or overnight.
- Once ready to serve ,remove the pan and carefully lift pie from the pan onto serving platter. This is not necessary, it can be served in pan if you want to. I recommend a drizzle of caramel and whipped coconut cream to top it off.
Southern-in-law has a great vegan caramel recipe (if the honey is swapped for agave syrup).
Coconut cream recipe (bottom of page)