With the end of summer around the corner I wanted to do a couple of posts with back to school recipes that are super easy and could involve your kids ( or anyone else in your life). The first recipe is for no-bake homemade granola bars.
Granola bars are often found in many lunch bags as they are nutritious and delicious, however most branded versions are full of added preservatives, salt and sugar that really aren’t needed. I decided to try making some at home, even though I have no children and have no need to pack a lunch for work I still thought that it would be handy to have them stocked up for snacks.
There are many different goodies you can add to granola bars, this recipe happens to be a favourite of mine but if you want to change it up I suggest some of the following which be great too:
mini m & m’s
other nut/seed butters
and pretty much any combinations of the above mentioned list!
- ⅔ Cup coconut oil
- 1 Cup peanut butter, I prefer smooth but crunchy also works
- ⅓ Cup honey or ¼ cup agave to make vegan
- ½ Tsp vanilla
- 2 Cups rolled oats, make sure they are gluten free!
- ⅓ Cup small chocolate chips plus 1 tbsp melted, my favourite is Enjoy Life brand
- Melt coconut oil, honey and peanut butter together.
- Stir in vanilla and cool down.
- Pour other rolled oats and add in chocolate chips, stir to combine.
- Line a 9x9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Press mixture into the pan.
- Chill in refigertator until it is completely firm.
- Remove from pan and cut into bars then drizzle with melted chocolate. Store bars in airtight container in refrigerator.
- Will keep fresh for 2 weeks.