It feels like the days are getting hotter, shorter but definitely not any cooler. I find it hard to even toast bread for fear that I will make it hotter inside.
I have fans going, windows opened, light clothes on and plenty of water and it still feels like a sauna. I have even been putting the air conditioner on which is something I wanted to avoid.
Days like these call for one thing in my mind: cold, cold treats and nothing beats a good ice cream.
I was originally going to make a no churn ice cream but was persuaded to buy an ice cream maker and I can’t complain as I had been considering purchasing one for some time.
Now I can make as much ice cream as I want and go crazy with flavours!
To christen my new shiny toy I made a peach and blackberry vegan ice cream. The peaches were a good price for a whole flat and the blackberries were bought at the farmers market as a part of a 1/3 flat of mixed berries.
My base for this ice cream are raw cashews which help make it creamy but do not interfer with flavour.
This has a nice light peach taste cut through with a tart burst from the blackberries. I did not add any types of sugar, however if you want to sweeten it I would recommend honey.
For another ice cream recipe check out Pina Colada Ice Cream.
- 4 Large peaches
- 1 Cup blackberries
- 1 Cup raw cashews
- 2 Cup hot water
- ¼ Cup non-dairy milk
- 1 Tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp honey (optional)
- Make sure to place ice cream bowl in freezer at least the night before.
- Soak raw cashews in hot water over night.
- Cut peaches into small chunks and set aside. Leave at least one handful to the side to add later.
- Blend blackberries together with 1-2 tbsp non-dairy milk. If you want to you can pour blackberries over a fine sieve to remove seeds otherwise scoop out blackberries into a small bowl and set aside.
- Drain cashews and pour into a blender with enough dairy-free milk to make a thick cream.
- Add peaches, vanilla and honey(optional) to blender and blitz until well combined.
- Remove ice cream maker bowl from freezer and set up ice cream maker. Pour peaches and cream into the bowl and turn on machine.
- Churn for 30 minutes, or until it is a soft-serve consistency. Add in a handful of chopped peaches.
- Slowly pour in the pureed blackberries and churn for another 10 minutes.
- Once churning is done you can serve as is or scoop into a freezer friendly bowl, cover with cling wrap making sure that it touches the ice cream surface and freeze for a further 2-3 hours before serving.
- To sere let ice cream sit out for 10 minutes before scooping into bowls.
- For a no-churn version do steps two to six as written above. Transfer mixture to a freezer friendly dish and freeze for one hour. Swirl in the blackberry puree and return to freezer for 3-4 hours covered with cling wrap that is touching the ice cream surface.