I bought a bushel of pears a few weeks ago and have yet to make a big dent in them. As I don’t want them to go bad before eating them I decided to use some to make delicious mini cakes. I can then eat them whenever I want as I plan to freeze some of them.
The spice mix really give it a warm cozy flavour and I could imagine making these on a cold fall night and enjoying them with a cup of tea. I had considered soaking the pears in vanilla bourbon before using them but changed my mind and decided to keep them alcohol free.
You could also add chocolate chips for more chocolatey goodness or walnuts if you want some crunch, but honestly they are just as amazing without any additions. When these are warm a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top really makes them a great dessert to serve after dinner.
This is a simple vegan friendly recipe which would be great for snacks, parties, bake sales, dessert and/or breakfast. These are fairly healthy as there is very little added sugar, as most of the sweetness comes from the pears themselves particularly if you use overripe pears as those are usually sweeter.
This is another great way to get a helping of fruit into your diet without having to take away from flavour or yumminess, though to be honest pears are a great sweet treat on their own.
- 3 Small pears, chopped
- 1⅓ Cup gluten free flour
- ¼ Cup cocoa powder
- ½ Tbsp baking powder
- ½ Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tsp ground ginger
- ½ Tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ Tsp ground cloves
- ¼ Tsp cardamon
- ½ Tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp sugar, I used coconut sugar
- ¾ Cup non-dairy milk, I used chocolate flavoured Rice Dream
- ¼ Cup vegetable oil
- ½ Tsp vanilla
- ¼ Cup chocolate chips (optional)
- ¼ Cup walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin pan with 12 muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl mix together all dry ingredients.
- Add vanilla, milk, vegetable oil and and mix until combined.
- Add in chopped pears and gently fold into the batter.
- (optional) Add in chocolate chips and/or walnuts.
- Scoop the batter into each muffin cup, fill to the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Let them cool on a rack before serving.
- Will keep in airtight container for 1 week or freeze for 3 months.