The weather is warming up and I am getting ready for the glorious bounty of fruit and vegetables that will be coming. I am one of those people who love salad and would gladly eat it everyday. There are so many people who say they hate salad or salad is not a meal! Well, to them I say yes it it.
Salad was once look at as an afterthought, something to make the plate look pretty. Usually you would find iceberg lettuce, a few carrots, some tomatoes and dressing. If that was served to me as a meal I would be pretty sad.
When I think of a loaded salad I picture garden greens, cashews, tomatoes, olives, herbs, radishes, peppers. Basically if I can create a rainbow in my bowl then I have succeeded in making a great salad.
To turn that salad into a meal though you need to add even more, specifically some type of protein. Anything that offers a good amount of protein will do, chicken, chickpeas, bacon, steak, tofu. This will really help to keep you full and satisfied. You could also add falafel, roasted potatoes or cauliflower fritter (like I did) for some carbohydrates.
Once you have all your ingredients assembled just toss and add dressing. I like to make my own dressing and have fun with it. No two dressing are ever the same, and this works most times although there have been a couple times my dressing did not work out.
When you make your own dressing you get to decided if you want a creamier base using tahini or cashews, a light oil dressing made with olive oil or walnut oil, or no dressing at all. Some salads only need a few shakes of salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon to make it pop. I decided to go with a lemon tahini dressing for this salad.
Whatever you choose salad should definitely be part of your main meal and enjoyed just as much as a juicy steak or bowl of pasta.
- 1 Head cauliflower
- 1 Sweet potato
- ½ Cup gluten free flour
- 1 Egg or vegan equivalent
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter
- 2-3 Tbsp non-dairy milk
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Cut cauliflower and sweet potato into smaller pieces.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add cauliflower and sweet potato. Cook until both are soft and fork easily pierces.
- Drain and set aside to cool.
- In large bowl dd cooled cauliflower and sweet potato and mash up. Make sure not to have too many large chunks. You could also puree them if you want a smoother consistency.
- Add remaining ingredients except oil and mix well.
- Heat 1-2 tbsp oli up in a skillet on high. With a regular spoon scoop up batter and gently drop into skillet.
- Cook until edges start to brown then flip over and cook of another 3 minutes.
- Remove and place on paper towel.
- Continue until all batter is used up.
- Serve immediately or once cooled.
Lemon Tahini Dressing
Makes: 1/2 Cup Total time: 5 minutes
1 Heaping tbsp tahini
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Clove of garlic
1 Tsp olive oil
1-2 Tbsp water
Dash of salt and pepper
- Add all ingredients to blender and blitz until smooth.
- Depending on consistency and preference some more water may be needed.
- Chill until ready to serve.