I’ve had a container of shredded coconut sitting in my refrigerator for nearly a month. I had originally meant to use it to make macaroons over Christmas but never got around to it.
I also had several lemons that were starting to turn hard and needed to be used before they went bad so bring those two ingredients together and what do you get? Lemon Coconut Muffins.
These are almost vegan. I used honey but you could swap that out for maple syrup or agave syrup. If you do not like bananas and don’t need these to be vegan you can swap the banana for two eggs.
For some crazy reason I decided to do another recipe video so please enjoy!
- ⅓ Cup fresh lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- ¼ Cup of honey
- 1 Cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 Cup all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1 Cup almond flour
- 2 Tsp baking powder
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1 Banana, mashed
- 1 Can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- ½ Tsp almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin or two 6 cup tins with non-stick cupcake holders and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl add the flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine the banana, coconut oil, ¼ cup coconut milk, almond extract, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredient in thirds alternating with remainder of coconut milk. Stir until just combined. The batter will be thick.
- Stir in the unsweetened coconut until combined.
- Fill the muffin cups with the batter , dividing it between the 12 cups. They will be almost full. Sprinkle the tops with more shredded coconut if desired.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the muffin tin for 5-10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Muffins keep well in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.