One of my favourite things about summer is the fact that fresh produce is abundant. From eggplants and tomatoes to the vibrant, fragrant bouquet of herbs you are never far away from something fresh and delicious. During the summer I tend to gravitate to more vegetarian/vegan recipes so that I can eat as many fresh vegetables and fruit as possible.
All types of herbs are a favourite of mine as they can elevate a dish to the next level and I am lucky to have a mixed pot of fresh herbs sitting on my patio. The only herb I am missing is mint, which I hope to get soon. Herbs can be added to anything from pasta and potatoes to lemonade and boozy summer drinks.
I wanted to showcase herbs without them overpowering the entire dish. Pasta is one of the best ways to use fresh herbs but I did not want just another tomato sauce. Instead I decided to make a like vinaigrette-like sauce with chopped tomatoes. Although I used it on pasta, this could work on salads, meat or seafood.
What makes this sauce is the marinating time. The longer you let it sit the better it becomes. I actually preferred the pasta the next day as a pasta salad, though it is equally good warm. I added some balsamic grilled chicken for protein on the first day and some grilled salmon on the next. I would recommend practically any type of protein; beans, tofu, shrimp, steak, etc. I also added some grilled asparagus the second day.
Herby tomato pasta is a really simple and quick dish to put together and will keep in the refrigerator for several days. For another fresh summer pasta check out my Lemon Vodka Pasta Dish!
- 3 Cups gluten free pasta, cooked according to package until al dente
- 3-4 Tomatoes, quartered
- 2 Cloves garlic, chopped roughly
- Bunch of herbs, I used thyme, rosemary, parsley, oregano and basil, chopped roughly
- 1 Tsp chili flakes
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ Lemon
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Add all ingredients except pasta to an airtight container. Toss to mix.
- Chill in refrigerator at least 2 hours, best if chilled overnight.
- Add sauce to pasta and toss to coat all pasta.
- Serve with your choice of protein.
- Will keep in refrigerator for 3-4 days.