It might sound silly as summer is nearly over but I just bought myself an outdoor grill. I have been using it almost non-stop since I bought it and couldn’t be happier with my purchase. I think I might even be able to use it as the weather turns colder.
Since buying it I have experimented with vegetables, fruit and meats so the next logical step was tofu. I am sure there are others out there who have had barbecued tofu and know how delicious it can be when prepared this way.
I decided to do tofu and vegetable skewers marinated in a sweet and spicy jerk sauce. My jerk sauce happens to include nectarines which helps to balance out the heat without the need of sugar or lots of salt. The sauce on its own can and should (in my opinion) be used on everything as it is that good.
For some reason I was unable to find habanero pepper so resorted to using dried chili flakes. Its not exactly authentic but gives a good kick to the senses. It is recommend to use fresh ingredients when possible but depending where you live and the time of year it might not be possible so I have included the amounts for dried ingredients.
To serve the skewers I kept things simple with some coconut rice, grilled pineapple and grilled spring onions. Its a nice, fresh meal perfect for any day or any occasion and is sure to please anyone, regardless of dietary specifications.
If you do not own a grill or wish to replicate the recipe in the oven I would use a roasting pan and rack and cook for 15-20 minutes at 425 degrees. After turn oven on to broil and cook a further 5 minutes to brown the tofu and vegetables.
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 medium onion
- 1 Nectarine
- 12 sprigs fresh thyme or 2 tbsp dried
- 4 green onions
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 habanero peppers or 1½ tbsp dried chili flakes
- ½ tsp fresh ginger or 1 tsp dried
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 Pack firm tofu, pressed of water
- Assortment of vegetables I used bell peppers, mushrooms and red onion
- Vegetable oil
- In a blender add soy sauce, nectarine, onion, thyme, scallions, garlic, peppers, and ginger and blend.
- Add the ground cloves, allspice, salt, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, black pepper, lemon juice and blend well.
- Drizzle oil into blender until you have a smooth puree. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Cut tofu into cubes. Place in a shallow dish and cover with jerk sauce. Let marinade for 45 minutes.
- Cut vegetable into smaller sizes that are easy to skewer.
- Skewer vegetables and marinaded tofu cubes in alternating turns.
- Heat grill at medium-high heat and wait until it has reached 450 degrees.
- Lightly oil grill and place skewers down. Grill on each side for 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice with extra jerk sauce on the side.