I am currently on “vacation”. Not really a vacation but I am staying with family for the month of July before I am able to move into my new place. Pretty much just living out of a suitcase. I have no plans for this month but to relax, eat and read and probably explore the natural and beautiful surroundings I am currently in.
I am going to try to keep doing weekly posts, however it may be bi weekly during July but should be back on track once I am moved in and settled down.
This week recipe came to me as a way to use up some of the food I had in the freezer and refrigerator, and I am very happy with how it turned out.
Mushrooms are one of my favourite vegetables and I will eat them with every meal if possible. They are very versatile as you can throw them into a salad raw or fry them up to serve as a side dish and of course stuff them.
I went with portabello mushrooms for this dish and stuffed it full of vegetables, herbs and lamb. Very delicious and very filling.
This recipe can also be made ahead of time and heated up in the oven but I do not suggest freezing it as freezing mushrooms changes the texture of them. You could also turn this into a great appetizer by using smaller mushrooms.
The combination of lamb and marinated portabello mushrooms really work well, add in some greek style seasoning and herbs and you have a hit on your hands. To finish it off I added a homemade pomergranate-balsamic glaze to the top which gave it a nice sweet yet tart flavour.
- 2 Large portabello mushrooms
- ½ Pound ground lamb
- 1 Bell pepper
- 1 Carrot
- Handful kalamata olives
- 2 Tbsp almond meal
- 2 Tsp oregano
- 1 Tsp fresh mint
- ½ Lemon
- 1 Clove garlic
- ½ Onion
- ½ Tsp cinnamon
- ¼ Cup olive oil
- ¼ Cup balsamic vinegar
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add oil and vinegar to dish large enough for mushrooms to fit in.
- Cut stem off of mushrooms and sprinkle both sides of mushrooms with salt and pepper. Place in dish with oil and vinegar, tossing to coat all sides. Cover and refrigerate at least 45 minutes and up to 24 hours.
- Cut carrots, olives and pepper into small pieces and add to medium sized bowl. If there was enough stem left from mushrooms you can also chop them up and add those into the bowl.
- Mince onion, garlic, oregano and mint. Add to same bowl. Squeeze in juice from half a lemon. Stir to combine.
- Add in ground lamb, almond meal and cinnamon. With hands mix to combine.
- Once mushrooms have marinaded for 45 minutes remove from dish and place on a baking tray. Stuff mushrooms with lamb mixture.
- Drizzle remaining marinade over mushrooms.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until lamb is cooked through.
- Serve immediately with a simple salad or let cool at room temperature before storing in airtight container in refrigerator.
- Will keep in refrigerator for 3 days.