It has been abnormally hot here lately, to the point where not even the air conditioner is doing the trick. Staying indoors, drinking plenty of water and eating cool foods has been getting me by.
That being said I did wan to make something with a bit more substance and as I had quite a bit of leftover rice on hand this curry rice salad was perfect.
I love rice and I love curry so this salad is the best of both worlds. While I made my version on the simpler side you could mix things up more by adding some chopped apples, celery or radishes. I served mine with some chilled salmon but grilled chicken or prawns also pair nicely.
Curried rice salad is a family mainstay, I recall it being brought to many family gatherings and being enjoyed by everyone. I even have a vague recollection of having this at Thanksgiving once, though I may just be getting my memories muddled. I am definitely going to have to continue making this for family and bringing it to gatherings.
- 2 Cups basmati rice
- ½ Red onion, diced
- 2 Spring onions, diced
- ¼ Cup raisins, chopped
- 3 Tbsp curry powder
- 3 Cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ Cup olive oil
- ⅓ Cup lemon juice
- 1 Tsp honey (optional)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Cook rice according to package instruction. Let cool completely or use day old leftover rice.
- Combine curry powder, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, honey and salt and pepper. Shake or stir to mix.
- Combine all ingredient together in a large bowl. Chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight before serving.
- Serve with protein of your choice. Store in refrigerator up to 3 days.