I have been trying to maximize my protein intake and lower my carbs. You would think this would be easy and straightforward given that I don’t eat traditionally carb loaded foods such as bread but I do eat plenty of rice and gluten free pasta and honestly could not see myself living without either of those. So I am working hard to cut down the portions of them and bulk up my meals with vegetables and protein.
I am continuing to meal plan and prep a week of lunched and dinners in advance and so far this has kept me on track of controlling portions and my macro nutrients while makes it easier on the washing up everyday. It can get a bit boring eating the same thing everyday but I find that if I switch it up every week it helps to cut through the monotony.
I started to think about cooking shrimp sometime last week and when I saw that it was on sale I figured this week would be shrimp week! Unfortunately I didn’t realize it was with shell on so I had to spend a good half an hour peeling the shells off before I could continue.
Coconut seemed the best way to go, not only is it easy to prepare but also makes a delicious meal. I decided to pair my shrimp with some basmati rice and vegetables in a sweet chilli sauce. This recipe is based on a 7 day meal plan, each serving contains 6 pieces of shrimp each.
- 42 raw shrimp, shell removed and deveined
- 1½ Cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degress. Line baking tray with parchment paper and lightly oil.
- Mix water, pepper and egg in a small dish.
- Lay coconut out on to a shallow dish.
- Dip each piece of shrimp into egg. Toss into coconut and lay on baking tray.
- Continue until all shrimps are coated in coconut.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until shrimp in white/pink and coconut started to brown.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately or let cool before serving.
PS- Sorry photographs are blurry, did not take pictures in good lighting.