My older sister is visiting for a couple of days and we decided to go out to a favourite burger restaurant close to my house. She was rather taken with the house made spicy potato chips and ordered them as her side.
I had ordered french fries however was accidentally brought potato chips so we ended up going home with a full order and a half of potato chips.
My sister made a remark that we could eat the chips for breakfast and how they would make great nachos so from that breakfast nachos was born!
Who says you can’t eat chips for breakfast?
The great thing about this recipe is the versatility. I opted for a vegetarian version topped with chao cheese (which taste almost like real cheese), sautéed black beans and vegetables in a chipotle adobo sauce which I bough at my local farmers market and added some fried eggs to the side but use whatever you like!
You could use other types of chips, anything from kettle chips to tortilla chips. If you want to go the extra mile you could make our own chips, for a recipe check here. This is a fun and easy recipe that does not take much cooking or prep.
- 2-3 Cups chips, or about one regular sized bag
- ½ Onion
- 1 Clove garlic
- 1 Can black beans
- 5 Mushrooms
- 1 Bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp chipotle sauce
- 1 Cup alternative cheese
- 2 Green onions
- 2 Tomatoes
- 2 Avocados
- 1 Tsp Olive oil
- Turn heat to high broil.
- Cut up all vegetables. In a pan add olive oil and onion, saute for 6 minutes or until they are starting to turn soft. Add garlic, mushrooms and bell pepper.
- Saute for a further 5 minutes then add in black beans and chipotle sauce and mix to combine. Remove from heat.
- In an oven proof dish layer chips, black bean mix then cheese, continue to layer until all ingredients are gone.
- Broil for 8 minutes or until whichever cheese you use has melted.
- Top with avocado, tomatoes and green onion.
- Serve with eggs or any other breakfast appropriate side.