I wasn’t sure if I should call this chicken scallopini or chicken schnitzel as it has elements of both. Chicken scallopini is usually dredged in plain flour whereas chicken schnitzel is dredged in flour, eggs and breadcrumbs. Both recipes call for butterflying chicken breast and pounding it out as thin as possible.
I butterflied my pieces and pounded them out thinly before dredging the chicken in gluten free breadcrumbs I picked up from my local gluten free bakery. The breadcrumbs add a nice crunch to the dish. I also added in some dried thyme leaves which paired with my sauce.
The most popular sauce to serve on top is a lemon butter sauce with mushrooms but for a bit of a change I went with a mustard sauce with mushrooms. My favourite types of mustard are dijon and sweet bavarian mustard.
I used both types in my recipe but if you prefer you could use one or the other or go completely different and substitute another type of mustard instead, I could see hot mustard being a great flavour balance. The great thing about schnitzel/scallopini is it can be served with several different sides.
Pasta is a common side but you could served it with rice, polenta or potatoes. I served this for dinner with some roasted potatoes and asparagus.
- 3 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1-2 Tbsp vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp sweet bavarian mustard
- ½ Tsp minced garlic
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 chicken breasts
- ½ Cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Saute mushrooms, onion and garlic until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant.
- Pour into a medium sized pot and combine with mustard, butter, stock, salt and pepper.
- Heat on medium low and combine until it thickens. Turn to simmer and leave with lid on.
- Heal oil in a large pan on medium high heat.
- Pat chicken breast dry, butterfly and pound thin, about ¼ inch.
- Combine breadcrumbs, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Coat butterflied chicken breast in breadcrumbs.
- Place coated chicken in the preheated pan and cook on both sides for 4-5 mins or until golden brown
- Remove to paper towel to soaked up any excess oil before plating.
- Plate with choice of side and pour sauce over the chicken.