Halloween is right around the corner.
I love halloween and although I don’t go out to party or even dress up I love the atmosphere surrounding the night. I have always had a fascination for the darker and macabre aspects of life and Halloween is the perfect excuse for me to show them publicly.
It also happens to be National Chocolate Day so what better way to celebrate both days than with a delicious black forest cupcake recipe!
Traditionally black forest cake is made with kirsch soaked black cherries. I could not find fresh cherries and decided against using frozen ones so used maraschino cherries instead, this worked out rather well as I did not soak them in alcohol and was able to reduce the sugar because maraschino cherries are already sweet.
The centre of each cupcake is filled with a delicious cherry and espresso sauce, not only does it taste great but biting into it it reminds me of congealed blood, perfect for halloween.
These cupcakes are topped with my recipe for buttercream found in my other cupcake post, Persian Love Cupcakes, but this time I added 1/2 cup of cocoa powder.
To give it a fun and spooky twist I also created spider webbing with marshmallows to drape over each cupcake. I just love how melted marshmallow can create edible spider webs.
I am going to attempt to keep a few of these cupcakes around until Halloween and devour them as I watch a Halloween themed movie and enjoy the night at home.
- 1 Cup all-purpose guten free flour
- 2⁄3 Cup cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 Tsp baking soda
- 2 Tsp vinegar
- 1 Tsp salt
- ¼ Cup vegetable oil
- 1 Cups sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tsp vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 Cups hot water
- ¼ Chopped maraschino or black cherries (optional)
- 1⁄2 Cup kirsch (optional)
- 1⁄2 Cup vegan butter
- 1 Cup powdered sugar
- ½ Tsp salt
- 1⁄4 Cup espresso
- ½ Tsp xantham gum or cornstarch
- ½ Cup maraschino cherries or black cherries
- ½ Cup mini marshmallows
- Buttercream recipe
- Soak cherries in a jar of the ½ cup Kirsch overnight (optional).
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line cupcake pan.
- Sift the dry ingredients together except for cocoa powder
- Cream the oil and sugar. Add the eggs, chopped cherries and vanilla and mix well.
- Mix cocoa powder with hot water and vinegar.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the cocoa water and mix well.
- Pour evenly into the cupcake containers. Bake for 20 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Cool and remove the cupcakes.
- Bring filling ingredients to a boil ensuring icing sugar and xantham gum is thoroughly dissolved. Remove from heat immediately once bubble form, stir to combine and cool.
- Cut a hole in the centre of each cupcake. Pour 1 tbsp of filling into each hole making sure each cupcake gets at least one cherry. Cool cupcakes for 1 hour.
- Pipe or spread buttercream over cupcakes and chill for 15 minutes or until buttercream has started to harden.
- Heat marshmallows up in microwave for 30 seconds, stir and melt again at ten second intervals until melted completely.
- Stir until cool enough to the touch. With hands pick up a small amount of the melted marshmallow between fingers and stretch out. Cover cupcakes and twist around each one.
- Keep in an airtight container. Will keep for 1 week (if you can make them last that long).